This report has been prepared by the Human Rights Forum, Bangladesh, a coalition of 17 human rights and development organisations formed to prepare a joint stakeholders’ report under the UPR.
1. Ain o Salish Kendra (ASK), Secretariat
2. Acid Survivors Foundation (ASF)
3. Bangladesh Mohila Parishad (BMP)
4. Bangladesh Institute of Labour Studies (BILS)
5. Bangladesh Legal Aid & Services Trust (BLAST)
6. Bangladesh Dalit and Excluded Rights Movement (BDERM)
7. Centre for Rehabilitation of Torture Survivors (CRTS)
8. D.Net (Development Research Network)
9. Karmojibi Nari (KN)
10. Nagorik Uddyog
11. Nari Uddoyog Kendra (NUK)
12. Nijera Kori
13. Nari Pokkho
14. National Forum of Organizations working with the Disabled (NFOWD)
15. Research and Development Collective (RDC)
16. Steps Towards Development (Steps)
17. Transparency International Bangladesh (TI-B)
It draws upon a series of national consultations held in March, April and August 2008 by the Forum and on the publications, documentation and experience of Forum members. The key concerns raised in this Report have also been discussed nationally by Forum Members at a consultation convened by the Government of Bangladesh (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) in August 2008. This report follows the guidelines adopted by the Human Rights Council. It refers to continuities of law and practice impacting on human rights, but focuses on incidents occurring within a four year period (with references to the Government referring to either the Bangladesh-Nationalist Party led Four Party Alliance Government (Oct 2001 to Oct 2006) or the Caretaker Government (Oct 2006 to Jan 2007, appointment of new Advisors from Jan 2007).
The UPR Report has been prepared on behalf of the Members by its Secretariat at Ain o Salish Kendra, with editing by Ms Sara Hossain, and contributions by Dr. Meghna Guhathakurta, Zakir Hossain, Dr. Hameeda Hossain, Dr. Rayhan Rashid, Dr. Dina Siddiqi, Shirin Sultana, Dr. Nowrin Tamanna and Dr. Ahmed Ziauddin. The Editorial Team included Mr Iftequaruzzman, Dr Mesbah Kamal and Ms Sultana Kamal.